All applicants must submit the required portfolio of art work online at http://purchase.slideroom.com. Submit only one portfolio to the School of Art+Design major program of your choice.Portfolio Content Requirements:
- Twelve (12) to twenty (20) examples of work:
Include title, size, date, and a short description of each piece you submit.
You must include both of the following two assignments among your work:
- One self-portrait in any medium
- Choose one from the following:
- Two drawings from direct observation (not from photos),
b. A set of three drawings/paintings that demonstrate your ability to look at an object in a new and interesting way. Working from direct observation (not from photos), you should draw or paint the same object three times, each time presenting it in an entirely new way. You can change your viewpoint, scale, composition, environment, lighting, etc. You can also change the medium and technique. The object can be anything, but you are encouraged to select something that would enable you to demonstrate your talents. Your goal is to show your skills, creativity, ambition, and engagement.
Transfer applicants to the BFA Graphic Design program must include:
- Four pieces with typography, one which demonstrates typographic hierarchy
- Create 2 works based from one of the following open ended prompts. We welcome creative interpretations:
- An independent project (not an assignment)
- A research-based (visual) piece
- A piece demonstrating harmony
- A piece demonstrating contrast
Your portfolio must consist of a minimum of twelve (12) and no more than twenty (20) examples of your work, inclusive of the two assignments plus your Reflective Statement or Video.
Admission to the BFA Theatre Design/Technology program is highly selective and is based on a required interview with the Design/Technology faculty and a review of the students overall application by Admissions. Only exceptionally talented students who can demonstrate a high level of ability, creativity and commitment in the interview will be offered admission.
Prepare and Submit your Portfolio: Prepare a portfolio that includes examples of design and/ or technical work that you have done in high school, community theaters, summer stock, or at other colleges, to be submitted as follows:
- Submit three to five examples of your portfolio pieces and a photograph of yourself online at *http://purchase.slideroom.com.
- You can upload images, documents, or videos and share links to online videos in SlideRoom.
- You must also bring your actual portfolio materials with you to your interview.
When submitting your portfolio pieces, please observe the following guidelines for each respective specialization:
- Costume Design: Drawings, paintings, and/or garments that you have made. These items need not to be theatrical.
- Lighting Design: Drawings, paintings, photography, drafting plots and lighting plots.
- Scene Design: Drawings, paintings, still life or still life studies and drafting designs.
- Costume Technology: Samples of costume construction, photos of work that has been built, drawings and other artwork.
- Stage Management: Prompt scripts, cue sheets, ground plans, rehearsal notes and programs.
- Technical Direction/Production Management: Drafting samples, objects that you have built, photographs and production paperwork.